What do you do when it’s Cinco de Mayo and you’re quarantined at home? Bring Cinco de Mayo home by making some delicious Mexican inspired dishes!
This year Cinco de Mayo fell on a Tuesday, so what better to make than TACOS! We made Carne Asada with fresh Pico de Gallo and margaritas with freshly squeezed lime juice!
One of our favorite apps to use to find good recipes to try is Food Network. So, when searching for a delicious meal to make in honor of our stay-at-home Cinco de Mayo, we went straight to our Food Network app. We wound up deciding on Tyler Florence’s Tacos Carne Asada recipe.
We started by prepping the Mojo to marinade our skirt steak in. As always, we added extra garlic. Instead of fresh garlic cloves, we often use minced garlic and go heavy on the estimations to match the recipe’s amount for fresh. For jalapeños, we substituted Serrano peppers. Once the Mojo was made, we got our skirt steak marinading and started on the Pico. We let the steak marinade for a couple of hours before grilling.
Our Ninja is our go-to for anything we need to use a food processor for. We removed the removed the seeds from the Serrano pepper (** NOTE: we suggest adding an additional pepper or two depending on your preferences). After the Pico is made, we set it aside and got the grill preheated. Once fully preheated, we greased the grill and grilled the steaks for approximately eight minutes per side, ensuring a good char formed on the outside of the steaks. We then sliced the steaks into thin slices and loaded our tacos with meat, some cheese, and lots of fresh Pico!
Throughout the making and enjoying process of our tacos, we made margaritas with freshly squeezed lime juice. We have never had better margaritas than the ones we had made with hand squeezed, fresh lime juice. The freshness added an extra zing that really brought out all of the flavors.
One of our favorite elements to our Cinco de Mayo dinner, was the Pico de Gallo! What recipes have you tried recently that you loved? We would love to hear from you!
- 2 lbs flank or skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 (7-inch) corn tortillas
- Shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Chopped white onion
- shredded Jack cheese
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 recipe Mojo
- 1/2 cup Pico de Gallo
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or some heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic)
- 1 jalapeno, minced ( or substitute a serrano pepper)
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 Tbs white vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Pico de Gallo:
- 4 vine-tripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions
- 1 serrano, minced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or some heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt